Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tinkerbug Introduction

This blog is intended to be a place for me to collect my notes, pictures and other information related to a microcomputer project I am working on. It is based on the Motorola 68B09 microprocessor and the Western Digital 1771 floppy controller. The intention is to build a working computer system complete with two 5.25" floppy drives that can run the vintage FLEX 9 Operating System from TSC, Inc.

The name TinkerBug is actually the name I gave the monitor program that is stored in an EEPROM on the processor board. It came from me tinkering with this project, and the fact that this type of monitor program used to contain a simple debugger tool. In my case it is mainly used for loading code over the serial port in Motorola S1 format, jumping to programs in memory, dumping a block of memory in HEX, and to boot from a floppy disk.

More details to come in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment